Out@Broad is an affinity group for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQIA+) Broadies and their allies.
Our mission is to ensure an inclusive, affirming and accepting environment for all members of the LGBTQIA+ community at the Broad, identify challenges to and lead the advancement of members of the LGBTQIA+ community in STEM fields, engage with external organizations to promote equality for LGBTQIA+ people in society, and to collaborate with other Broad affinity groups to promote a genuine, shared culture of diversity and inclusion.
- Increase visibility and acceptance of LGBTQIA+ members within the Broad community.
- Advocate for LGBTQIA+-friendly changes in Broad policies and in the workplace.
- Provide support and networking opportunities for members of our community.
- Identify issues faced by LGBTQIA+ people in STEM fields and generate strategies to address them.
- Connect and engage with local organizations, companies, academic institutions and medical centers to extend our network and create a channel for outreach.
- Sponsor informational events, with speakers discussing LGBTQIA+-related topics.
- Build connections with LGBTQIA+ STEM professionals.
- Launch initiatives for allies of and families with LGBTQIA+ individuals.
- Collaborate on programming with BroadLife.
- Raise awareness through events including Boston Pride, National Coming Out Day, Transgender Awareness Week, and World AIDS Day.
- Organize social events.
Family building seminar in partnership with BroadLife. Collaboration with the Blood Donation Working Group, which issued a report to the FDA urging changes to its blood donor deferral policy.